Recycling and Waste Disposal
Remember recycling is mandatory in Wilton.
- Recycling is everyone’s responsibility.
- Clear plastic bags are required for non-recyclable waste.
- An attendant can help with your questions.
- Handle recyclables as directed by signs or the attendant.
We appreciate your cooperation with the Recycling Program.
Effective November 2, 2021, the Share Shack is temporarily closed until further notice.
The Wilton Transfer Station built the Share Shack by way of a Maine Community Foundation Grant. The object of the Share Shack is to take usable items out of the waste stream for individuals who need them.
The items designated for the Share Shack must be clean and in good working condition. We would like for persons using the Share Shack to please see attendants before putting items in or taking items out so we can keep track of them.
Acceptance of flea market and yard sale items will be limited – please see an attendant. The Share Shack items are for use of Wilton residents – not to be taken for resale for yard sales and flea markets.
Acceptance of items will be at the individual’s risk. The Town of Wilton does not assume any liability for items taken from the Share Shack.
Items will be accepted no later than 30 minutes before the Transfer Station closes.
Examples of Acceptable Items:
- Wooden Furniture – bed frames, dressers w/drawers, end tables, coffee tables, wooden chairs, kitchen tables, etc.
- Housewares – dishes, silverware, Tupperware, pots and pans, glasses, etc.
- Tools – hammers, screwdrivers, etc.
- Building Materials – bundles of non-used shingles, unused nuts, bolts, washers, nails (in containers), etc.
- Kid’s Corner – toys, games, puzzles (all pieces, must be in original box), etc.
Examples of Unacceptable Items:
- Air Conditioners
- Glass Doors,
- Large Appliances
- Mattresses and Box Springs
- Stuffed or Upholstered Furniture
- Computer Monitors
We encourage you to compose your leaves, yard waste, garden waste, and vegetable scraps in your own backyard. Trained Master Composters are available to help you set up your compost bin or pile. Contact the Town Office for more information.